Sr. Mary John (Geraldine) O’Rourke
September 11, 1936 – May 22, 2015
A native of Ozone Park, Sr. Mary John O’Rourke first entered the Congregation of Ursuline Sisters of Tildonk in 1954 and devoted her life to the ministry of education, in which she was exceptional. She taught at Our Lady of Grace, Nativity BVM, and Holy Family High School and served as principal of St. Thomas the Apostle, St. Lawrence O’Toole, and, for 22 years, of St. Gregory the Great. A pioneer in the Bridgeport Diocese in curriculum mapping and technology initiatives, Sr. Mary John led her school to earning the 2010-2011 Blue Ribbon School of Excellence from the US Department of Education.
We remember Sr. Mary John with gratitude and love.